Gardner-Webb University

Gayle Bolt Price School of Graduate Studies

Master of Arts/Ed. S. in Mental Health Counseling


West 3rd St. Company, Inc., 7th Floor

Spartanburg Regional Medical Center

Winston-Salem, NC 29303

United States

Program Information

Degrees Offered:

M.A./Ed.S. in Mental Health Counseling

Format: Campus

Program Description:

Mental health counseling is a professional counseling specialty which involves the application of principles of psychotherapy, human development, learning theory, group dynamics and the assessment of mental illness and dysfunctional behavior. Mental health counseling includes the practice of prevention, early intervention, and treatment of mental and emotional disorders for individuals, families, and/or groups and consultation and education for community groups interested in promoting healthy lifestyles in the community. The mental health counseling program is designed to provide graduate level preparation for students who seek advanced educational experiences and clinical training leading to certification and/or licensure for professional positions in the mental health counseling field. The MA/Ed.S degree is a tethered, combined degree. A student cannot finish one degree without the other. Therefore, in order to obtain either degree the student must complete the entire graduate program. Students holding a counseling master’s degree from a graduate program from within or outside Gardner-Webb University will not be able to pursue the Ed.S. portion of the degree by augmenting their course work with additional courses from the Gardner-Webb University Mental Health Counseling program.


Gardner-Webb University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools The Counseling programs are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs. (CACREP)

International Student Requirements:

1. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 500-paper based test, 173 min.-computer based, or 61 min.-internet based. 2. WES - (Evaluation of Foreign Educational Credentials) - All Transcripts from institutions outside U.S. must be submitted to WES 3. VISA/ PASSPORT - F1 student visa or H1B work/employment visa. -Permanent Residents need to supply a copy of their permanent residency card International applicants planning to immigrate to the U.S.A., submit the following: 4. Documents to Support Sponsor Financial Responsibility-Copy of most recent Bank Statement and one of the following: Recent tax return OR copies of the Last 3 pay stubs. 5. I-20 Request Form 6. International Student Transfer Form (if coming from another U.S. institution, a copy of your I-94 and I-20 are required)

Facts & Figures

Financial Aid: Yes

International Financial Aid: Yes

# of Credits Required: 60

Average Cost per Credit (Graduate): $355 USD

Classification: Master's College or University I

Locale: Fringe Rural Area

Size & Settings: 3,000-5,999

Find Schools